2015

New touristic season is coming

Przygotowania do sezonu 2015 - porządkowanie trawników

It’s Spring! Longer and warmer days encourage the volunteers of PARE to visit the engine shed more frequently. During the last weeks, the rebuild of beer refrigerator car have sped up. We’ve also broaden the scope of works required before the admission of the first guests during the coming, 11th touristic season in Engine Shed. Lawns are now free of the autumn leafs. The main workshop has been cleared of the parts of salvaged railway devices and frames. On the walls, we’ve hung vintage boards with safety and efficiency slogans dating back to People’s Republic. We have also cleaned the surroundings of the roundhouse from leftovers from last year’s roof repairs. We also prepared the new, longer sightseeing route inside the roundhouse.

Przygotowania do sezonu 2015 - porządkowanie na hali Przygotowania do sezonu 2015 - porządkowanie na hali 2 podgotowka05


Subsidy for renovation of the oldest part of roundhouse

For the whole March and part of April, we have collected the required documents and then appointed the contractor to conduct the works by the oldest (1862-1865) part of the Shed. These activities were crucial to sign the subsidy agreement with the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage. For the planned works we will be assigned 100 000 PLN. Currently we are waiting for the finalization of the agreement. We plan to start the works right after the first Open Days!

przybudowka_belki widok-ogolny-i-rusztowanie


Another stage of refrigerator car rebuild

We devote each free moment of our activity to the works by the beer refrigerator car from 1912. During the previous weeks we managed to cut the planks for all external walls (except the part where entrance is placed – this will be accomplished in further stages of works).

Piwiarka - ściany bez A   Piwiarka - ściany z A

Currently we are milling the planks so they will fit the outer frame and form with it a single, even surface. As we have no milling machine, we substituted it with prepared drill press. Surprisingly, this arrangement run without fault

apsanok

We are still collecting any documentation regarding beer refrigerator cars. As for now, we still did not find the blueprints of our particular car. Therefore, to find best solutions, we collect so called blatts – blueprints of cars of similar construction, especially of Austrian origin. This time, with help come the branch of Rzeszów’s National Archive in Sanok, where in the complex of the former L. Zieleniewski railway works one can find vast documents regarding many railway vehicles.


Skierniewice Engine Shed on Touristic Fairs „Where Cultures Meet”

Na styku kultur - latarnie

From 13th to 15th March we participated in the 21st fairs – Touristic Sites “Where Cultures Meet”. This time we were invited by the City Council of Skierniewice to join their representatives on a common stand. The invitation was not accidental. The promotion of the Town upon Łupia river took into account the 170th anniversary of the arrival of the first Warsaw-Vienna Railroad’s train to Skierniewice. What is worth noting, this first train was a sightseeing trip for Railroad officials.

We were happy to have Mr. Witold Stępień the Marshall of Łódź Voivodeship, Mrs. Jolanta Chełmińskathe Voivode of Łódź Voivodeship and Senator Ryszard Bonisławski – the outstanding expert on Łódź cultural heritage as our guests. It was a good opportunity to present our latest achievements and talk about Association’s plans for the nearest future.

Na styku kultur z maraszałkiem W. Stępniem Na styku kultur z senatorem R. Bonisławskim

Of course, we were also visited by countless guests of the fairs, whom we encouraged to visit our engine shed during the upcoming Open Days. The youngest visitors were really intrigued with the railway exhibits on our stand.

Na styku kultur - stoisko cieszyło się wielkim zainteresowaniem odwiedzających Na styku kultur - z dzieckiem

Na styku kultur - pokaz mody kolejowej

The last, but the most interesting point of our participation in the fairs was the improvised by the organizers railway uniform fashion show. Our colleagues dressed in historical uniforms from 1960-1970 period took part in it together with our friends form Rogów-Rawa-Biała Narrow Gauge Railway. The contemporary uniforms, derived from the old ones we’ve shown, were presented by the employees of Przewozy Regionalne. It is only a pity, that the representatives of the youngest railway operator in Łódź Voivodship – Łódzka Kolej Aglomeracyjna – could not take part in this event.

Those, who could not participate in the fairs, can watch a short video from this event:

Na styku kultur - ekipa stoiska

We would like to thank to all the guests, who visited during those three days the stand of PARE and Skierniewice’s City Council. We would like to express our gratitude to the Skierniewice’s authorities for their invitation to participate together in the fairs. We do hope that we’ve managed to encourage our guests to visit the town upon Łupia river and to drop in the Shed at Łwoicka Street 1. See you on the next fairs next year.

To all those eager to visit the Shed, we remind that Open Days start on 2nd May.


This year’s first subsidy agreement signed!

Rozbiórka dachu hali wachlarzowej

In the beginning of March we have signed the first in this year subsidy agreement. The City President of Skierniewice has assigned a support of 7000 PLN at the open bid for public interest organizations to the task “Adaptation of historical Engine Shed buildings to the museum and cultural purposes”. The project’ total worth is 8750 PLN  – the remaining amount are the own assets required by the bid. It will be devoted to prepare the technical documentation vital for further repairs of the Shed’s facilities.


Leave your 1% in Skierniewice

plakat_b2_1

Under such motto the city council will encourage the citizens of the town upon Łupia river to donate their 1% of income tax to the public organizations based in Skierniewice. On this occasion a special event in which all of Skierniewice’s organizations will take part is planned on 7th March, from 11AM to 2PM on the Market Square. Of course, we will be there too. After all, the major part of the PARE’s activities take place in this city. We will be represented by our colleagues dressed in historical railway uniforms. They will not only encourage the event participants to support our association but also to visit the Engine Shed.


Traces of Warsaw-Vienna Railroad

On the occasion of the International Tour Guide Day, which took place on 21st February, 25 different walks around Warsaw’s historical places were organized by the Council of City Guides PTTK, Varsaviana foundation, KORT TPW branch and Guides Warsaw association. One of the tours was devoted to the Warsaw-Vienna Railroad.

Oddech wiedenki Złota-59 Marek Moczulski, graduate of former Railway School in Warsaw, lighted candles under the memorial stone.

Participants of the tour met at Jerozolimskie Avenue by the Warszawa Śródmieście station. In this place, 170 years ago a terminal station of the railway (Dworzec Wiedeński) was build. First train to Grodzisk departed from here on 14th June 1845. Another point of the walk was the St. Barbara chapel and the church of St. Peter and Paul by Nowogrodzka Street 51. In 1865, the chapel was renewed by the Railroad employees and became their parish church. Participants of the walk visited the place, where in 1873, the board of Warsaw-Vienna railroad created the training workshop – the ancestor of now defunct Railroad School in Warsaw. The workshop was located till 1953 by Chmielewska Street 88. A memorial stone sponsored by the graduates of the school in 1998 marks the original location of the facility.

A former workshops of the Railroad were also visited. Their erection began in 1852. Part of the complex was a building at Chmielna Street 73, demolished in 2013. The tenement by Pańska Street 100 had more luck – it survived two wars, rebuild of the city, changing governments and building of the nearby underground line.

The walk concluded at… “Siberia”. It’s the nickname of the large area of warehouses, sidings and utility buildings of the former Warsaw-Vienna Railroad goods station, originating back in 1875. The buildings by the Kolejowa Street 8/10 accommodates now countless clubs, car dealers and wholesales. Probably thanks to that, the old walls survived till today being one of the last remnants of the great Railroad.

Oddech wiedenki Syberia-2   Oddech wiedenki Syberia-3

The tour was guided by our colleagues Andrzej Paszke, Zbigniew Tucholski and Marek Moczulski.


Breath of Warsaw-Vienna Railroad – walk along traces of DŻWW in Warsaw

170 lat DŻWW

Warsaw’s PTTK Council of City Guides would like to invite you on 21st February 2015 to the walk along traces of Warsaw-Vienna railroad. The walk will be guided by our colleagues: Marek Moczulski, Andrzej Paszke and Zbigniew Tucholski. Start at 11 o’clock by the entrance to the platform 2 of Warszawa Śródmiescie station (from Marszałkowska Street).


We took part in Smarzowski’s movie!

Wołyń - skład

The January in Skierniewice’s Shed was mostly spent on preparations to movie shots. Before we heard the first “Camera! Action!” we had to put aside our typical duties – after all preparing a movie location is a prestigious (and profitable) task. Therefore our shunting engines underwent the extra check-up and the box cars thoroughly lubricated. After all it’s not the first time they take part in a film. Eventually we only had to wait for the “Wołyń” film crew… and for winter.

At last, the first teams of the Wojciech Smarzowski’s crew appeared in the Shed. Their task – make part of the shed resemble a 1940’ station somewhere in Volhynia. After a week of work, the location was ready to shot the key scenes of the main characters deportation to Siberia. The biggest concern was the snowless weather which forced the film crew to create its own snow by means of snow cannons and special deliveries from the local ice rink.

Wołyń - armatka Wołyń - TKp102

The shots were taken on 7th and 8th February, during the day (scenes of deportees boarding the train) and at night (scene of buying out the main character form the transport). Several Polish and Ukrainian actors took part in the scenes as well as nearly 150 extras – mostly to play the roles of deported Poles.

Wołyń nocą załadunek Wołyń - reżyser

A part of this group had a “less glorious” role of the NKVD and Red Army’s soldiers.

Wołyń - soładaty, sobaka i ekipa Wołyń - Sołdata

Extras were mostly the residents of Skierniewice, yet there were a couple of people who traveled a longer distance to experience how it really is to play in a movie.

Most of the days were spent on scenes rehearsal and shooting some of the daylight scenes…

Wołyń - kamera Wołyń - plan dzienny z lampami

But most of the scenes were filmed after dark. The movie shooting ended on Monday morning at 4 o’clock.

Wołyń - ogniska Wołyń nocą z budynkiem dyspozytora
Wołyń nocą z końmi Wołyń - widok ze strychu

The movie is produced by Dom Produkcyjny Film It, the screenplay, written by Wojciech Smarzowski, is based on short stories by Stanisław Srokowski. Cinematography is done by Piotr Sobociński Jr. The movie will be a screen debut of Michalina Łabacz. The premiere is planned on the second half of 2016.