Meanwhile, at the signalling exhibition…


In the shadow of the eradication of self-seeders from the coal storage, a much more precise work was conducted in the secluded area of the signalling exhibition. We were continuing refurbishing the rare, small lever frame of the intermediate signal box.

After the successful assembly of the interlocking cam’s box, we proceeded to fix the signal’s levers. It took long than expected to bring those parts to a proper condition. We actually disassembled the levers into their elementary parts – for some volunteers, students of the railway school, it was an interesting and invaluable experience. Another step was a thorough cleaning and removal of the paint. The complex shape of the cast-iron parts forced us to experiment with different techniques, including a crude blast-sanding. Meanwhile, we started to complete new equipment of the exhibition’s mechanical back-room, e.g. a new grinding machine allowed us to eliminate the countless trips to the main workshop to clean every tiny detail. Eventually, after repainting, the levers were put back on their place at the frame.

dzwignie_post_odst01 dzwignie_post_odst02 dzwignie_post_odst03 dzwignie_post_odst04

Another element of the frame which required our attention was the block device. This time we decided to completely disassemble for easier clean-up. The effect was worth the effort – the repainted frame is now waiting for the installation of block assemblies, electromagnetic lock and the generator. After that we will face the much more complex task of recreating the electric circuits of the device. What we found initially inside was far from proper (the frame was a teaching aid in a railway school). The challenge was nevertheless accepted by our volunteers, who find in it another opportunity to excel their skills as signal fitters.

aparat_post_odst01 aparat_post_odst02 aparat_post_odst03 aparat_post_odst04

The lever frame was not the only exhibit we focused on. At last we took care of the second five-aspect semaphore present on the exhibition. This one was also a teaching aid and initially was equipped with a simple control box to automatically switch the aspects. Unfortunately, the original circuit based on the exchange step-by-step switch gave at some point a puff of smoke, and the semaphore was left in the corner only to present what is the use of indicator W31 (“disregard this signal”). We started by inspecting the wiring of the lights and repainting the chambers. Next, we prepared a new control system, this time based on Arduino micro-controller. We also ordered new background plates to be cut in place for the missing ones.

sygnalizator_arduino01 sygnalizator_arduino03 sygnalizator_arduino02 sygnalizator_arduino04

Below is a short video from the first test run of the semaphore.

This year’s activities on the signalling exhibition are supported by


Back to top