Merry Christmas

We would like to wish all the best to members, volunteers, supporters and fans of PARE on the occasion of coming Christmas

May this exceptional time fill you hearts with comfort and hope, and let you overcome even the biggest of obstacles.

Zima w Parowozowni


Preparing new location for historical telephonic exchange.

dsc_9518-1024x685

While expanding the railway communication exhibition (which includes recreating the “Einheitbasa” railway exchange) we spend the last summer and beginning of autumn on building a final piece of equipment in future exhibition rooms – a masonry stove.

The stove will play a double role of an exhibit and actual heating device. The youngest visitors will witness that several decades ago it was a typical situation that right next to the precise and modern (as for its times) equipment, a primitive but effective device provided the heat for men and dry air for machines. A masonry stove requires lots of troublesome maintenance, yet the atmosphere created by it is irreplaceable by any modern heating device.

Similarly to the first stove built in 2013, we reused the tiles and materials from heaters which we recovered from Warszawa-Stalowa station before its demolishing in 1996.

dsc_9818a

After rebuilding, the stove required a couple of weeks to dry. Together with the first cold days it underwent the first heating tests. The result was satisfactory – it can now provide us heat during the winter as we will assemble the remaining equipment. In photos we present the first stage of stove building and the final result.

As the stove was drying, we took our time to resurface the floors. Thankfully, the original floor was not damaged in any way so a thin layer of concrete was enough to obtain leveled surface required for linoleum. We also fitted sockets and light switches made of beautiful brow bakelite – also saved from now nonexistent post-railway buildings. We want that every detail of the surroundings of the exchange corresponds to the epoch of the normal use of this type of exchange.

dsc_9974a

The last stage of the adaptation works was replacement of the bars in one of the window. The old one, made around 1980’s presented the most sloppy of welding jobs we have ever seen. A new one is better fitted to the widow frame and corresponds to the shape of bars in neighboring windows.

szafy-biuro-onpt-1a

As the adaptation works reached their end we can start the long-awaited process of assembling the exchange. The cabinets with long-range carriers amplifiers will be placed as first. Devices, which awaits assembling, were produced in early 1970’s in former GDR by VEB Rundfunk- und Fernmelde-Technik (RFT) in Leipzig and Bautzen, as well as by the State Telecommunication Works in Warsaw. The equipment was reclaimed form the railway exchanges of the Central Railway District.


Another Hungarian car identified.

dsc_9961a

Thanks to the cooperation with Hungarian Museum of Science, Technology and Transportation we managed to identify one of the Hungarian box cars from our collection. As the producer’s plate was missing, basing only on the claims of the previous owner, we thought that the car was built around 1893. We were able to verify this presumption after we found the serial number of the car. The initial number, given by the Royal Hungarian Railways (MAV – Magyar Királyi Államvasutak) was 123 717. Thanks to this, we found out that the car was built between 1896 and 1902 (probably in 1898) by Ganz & Co works from Budapest and was subscribed as a standard type XVB1, Grn series designed in 1891.

SONY DSC

Around 6700 cars of this type have been built by various manufacturer – the mentioned Ganz & Co, Ships and Machines Build Works from Budapest, Györ Works, Schlick Wagon Works in Budapest and Janos Weitzer Wagon Works in Arad (currently in Romania).


Ending another year of our activity…

… so its time to sum up the most important works and thank to all the supporters without whom many of our actions would not be possible.

Traditionally, the most important part were the repairs of the old buildings. In 2015, after three-years break, we managed to obtain a financing sufficient to rebuilt the oldest part of the shed, the so-called “Łowicz annex”. The Ministry of Culture and National Heritage provided for this purpose 100000 PLN. It was the biggest fund PARE has ever received but the only one we had this year (despite five other requests). The total cost of the rebuilding works reached 140000 PLN. The remaining money were obtained from own sources (the 1% from income tax – most of the 27000 PLN received in 2015) and the donation from PKP Group.

przybudowka_belki Przybudówka - prace ze spychareczką (2) Przybudówka łowicka - konstrukcja szalunków Przybudówka strop 1 piętra   dsc_9704 dsc_9701

The donation of the City Council of Skierniewice (7000 PLN) was devoted for preparing the documentation required for further adaptation of the Engine Shed as a museum and cultiral facility.

Rolling stock conservation works in 2015 concentrated around the rebuilding of beer refrigerator car from 1912. The required resources came from 1% of income tax and donation of PKP Group.

Piwiarka - 4 ściany 2015   natrysk SONY DSC

On behalf of members and volunteers of PARE we would like to say a big thank you to allour supporters and sponsors.

PARE sponsors in 2015

Ministerstwo Kultury i Dziedzictwa Narodowego Urząd Miasta Skierniewice fundacja_logo_rgb_bezpola

Freightliner  1 procent podatku


Conference „To save from rusting away”

sympozjum-otwiera-dyrektor-mk

During the anniversary of Warsaw-Vienna Railroad we co-organized or took part in many different events.

The 3rd Conference „To save from rusting away” organized by the Railway Museum in Warsaw and Masovian Voivodeship Conservationist Office took place on 25th November, in Żyrardów’s Aparthotel Old Spinning Mill (actually placed in the old linen factory).

The conference was devoted to the history of WVR, its material heritage and its conservation. PARE was represented by Michał Jerczyński, who gave a speech “The Architecture of Warsaw-Vienna Railroad – development and problems of preservation”.

o-historii-kolei-w-zakladach-lniarskich-przypomina-parowoz-bezogniowy It was not a coincidence that the event took place in Żyrardów – a city, which history is strongly connected to WVR.

After the panel discussion participants could visit the newly organized Linen Industry Museum, created and maintained by volunteers in the remaining objects of Żyrardów’s Linen Factory. Most of the exhibits is the original equipment from the last years of factory operation. Similary to Skierniewice Engine Shed, the interior and machines of the Museum are slowly brought back to life.

 


Continuing rebuild of beer refrigerator car

natrysk

Despite the varying tempo of works by the beer refrigerator car, the rebuild is progressing towards the end. During the summer vacations we managed to paint the planks of the outer walls and prepare them for the final assembly. Yet, a couple of obstacles appeared and forced us to rethink the construction of the walls. What is more, September and October is a period of increased number of events in the Shed, so we had hardly any time to get back to renovation works by the exhibits.

SONY DSC

After the last events of 170th anniversary of WVR, at last we could devote some more time to the refrigerator car. We conduct the works every second week under the supervision of people who took part in similar project several years ago, when we were rebuilding the 4th class passenger-luggage coach ‘Steinfurt’. During the last weeks of November we managed to complete the outer walls of the car, many times working after dusk due to the shorter daytime.

SONY DSC SONY DSC SONY DSC SONY DSC   SONY DSC

During the coming meetings, we are going to complete the inner walls, openings for ice, door frames and start assembling the double floor with thermal insulation.

 


After the Railwaymen Day

dk2015

On Saturday, 28th November we invited our fans to the last in this year Open Days in Engine Shed, this time on the occasion of Railwaymen Day. Due to the ongoing track works on the neighboring railway station, the event was much more modest than in previous years, mostly because of lack of the exhibition of contemporary rolling stock. Nevertheless, despite the unpleasant weather, we were visited by 150 guests. As each year, among the visitors were the pupils of Primary School № 4 who handed us the wishes and gifts addressed to all railwaymen.

swieto-kolejarza_okladka swieto-kolejarza_zyczenia

On Sunday, 29th  November at 12:30PM a mass for railwaymen benefit took place in St. Jacob Church in Skierniewice.

 


PARE becomes a member of Regional Touristic Organization

logo_rotwl

On 27th October our association have became a member of the Regional Touristic Organization of Łódź Voivodeship, with which we cooperate since several years. Simultaneously, this act underlines the important role of Skierniewice Engine Shed as a major point on the regional map of postindustrial touristic attractions.


All Souls Day Collection

15-11-01-grob-st-wysockiego

Since 1975 Social Committee for Restoration of Old Powązki Cemetery collects money on 1st and 2nd November to save the historic graves at this cemetery. More than 250 people from the world of culture, science and politics took part in this noble event. Members of PARE also joined the collection accompanied by the representatives of railway companies: SKM, WKD and PKP PLK. The eight volunteers conducted the collection near the grave of Stanisław Wysocki. This year’s collection was really successful and totaled to nearly 215 thousand zlotys.

15-10-31-kwesta-fot-grzegorz-moczulski 15-11-01-kwesta-fot-marek-moczulski


All Souls Day walk at the Old Powązki Cemetery

15-11-02-spacer-zaduszkowy-2

On behalf of our Association, Maria Balicka and Marek Moczulski would like to invite you to the traditional All Souls Day walk on the trail of famous railway men at the Old Powązki Cemetery. We will meet by the gate of St. Onorata on 2nd November 2015 at 10AM. The walk will take approximately 2,5 hours, we will visit the graves of Władysław Stanisław Reymont, Władysław Podkowiński, Wacław Sieroszewski, A. Janowski and Leopold J. Kronenberg.